Remote work has been around for decades, but a global pandemic and booming technology have allowed for working from home to become more commonplace. But is this practice a fad or the future of work? How do businesses handle this changing landscape of work?
Is this the desirable benefit some people think it is? Is it the future or a fad?
- Depends largely on the industry.
- Some businesses are able to get away with it more than others.
- It can also be individual. Some people are more productive at home than the office.
How have we made this work at GreenMellen?
- Collaboration time
- Social time
- Block your lunch hour
- Stay on communication channels
What are some of the benefits or disadvantages as we see it?
- Pros: more flexibility, no commute, happier employees, save $$ on offices
- Cons: less face time, abuse of company time, less collaboration, more isolation
How can other businesses prepare for more remote or hybrid work?
- Find the right communication channels—Slack, Zoom, Loom, etc.
- Help people set boundaries (reference our episode on mental health)
- Find ways to maintain a culture and keep people plugged in
- Keep an open mind and listen to what your team expects
How does this impact marketing?
- Online presence matters even more than ever—both for customers and the team
- Collaboration and communication become a challenge, but still achievable
- Save money in office space and put it back into marketing that has direct results?