Everyone loves to feel productive when they’re at work, but that can often feel like a daunting task. How can we be more productive, and what’s the goal with productivity anyway? This episode takes a practical approach to help you be more effective in your business.
What is the goal with productivity?
- Make the most of time
- Not just to stay busy
- Keeping your mind like water is a key to staying productive.
- Is Inbox Zero a realistic goal?
- Emails aren’t messages, they’re actions
- Task management systems: Asana, Clickup, Teamwork
- Hundreds of Ways to Get S#!+ Done—and We Still Don’t (Wired Magazine article)
- Block off time on your calendar to get work done
- Disposable notes —> trusted systems.
- What are the best ways to take notes?
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- Mickey is better about “deep study” than deep work.
Things like Kindle, reMarkable and Brain.fm help with that.
- Task switching is tempting, but it’s the enemy of productivity.
- Deep work takes intentionality, but it always yields the best results.
How to do deep work
- Find a space that’s free from distractions.
- Shut the door.
- Clear off your desk.
- Turn off notifications.
- Put on music or white noise in headphones.