Nonprofits are unique organizations for many reasons, including how they approach marketing. This can be both a benefit and a challenge for the professionals marketing for nonprofits. Let’s take a look at what makes charities different and how they can make the most of their digital marketing.
What makes nonprofit marketing different?
- Your organization has a mission
- Closely tied with fundraising.
- Sometimes slower to adapt to technology
- Organizations more willing to share with each other. Less competitive.
What challenges do nonprofit marketers face?
- Limited budget & resources. Marketing is viewed as overhead.
- Limited staff. Even large nonprofits tend to be understaffed.
- Lots of different audiences. Having to appeal to all of them.
- Marketers have to do most of the work themselves.
The way we think about charity is dead wrong— a TED Talk by Dan Pallotta
What are the benefits of marketing a nonprofit?
- A mission that people (hopefully) like.
- Volunteer help. Guidance from your board.
- Easy calls to action. Donate. Volunteer. Come to an event.
- Digital tool discounts (or free)!
What resources can a nonprofit marketer use?
5 Ways Nonprofit Organizations Benefit from Digital Marketing