If you do anything online, there’s always some risk that your privacy or data could be compromised. Hackers are a real thing, and so is identity theft. Thankfully, there are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself and your business online.
Why does this matter? What’s the worst that can happen?
- Identity fraud
- Account hacked, like Facebook
- Hacked ≠ Cloned
- Credit card information stolen
- Website hacked (and you might not even know it for a while) – episode 15
What are ways to keep your accounts and passwords safe?
- Use a password manager like Lastpass or Onepass
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for each account
- Use dual-factor authentication, either texts or an authenticator app
- Three factors: Something you know, something you have, something you are
How can people keep their online information secure?
- Check your privacy settings on each platform; know what information you’re sharing
- Watch what information your share online, especially social media & email
- The browser and email client you use matter.
How does this apply to businesses?
- Keep your customer data safe.
- Keep your customers feeling safe.
- So your business doesn’t lose money or credibility