On March 21, 2006, Jack Dorsey posted the world’s first tweet with the very exciting news that is quite similar to most people’s first tweet when he said “just setting up my twttr“.
(it was called “twttr” for a while before they added some vowels and made it “twitter”)
Some of the history of Twitter:
- March 21: First Tweet
- July 15: Public launch, but quiet for a while
- March: Launched for real at SXSW and starts to take off.
- April: Reached 80,000 users.
- April 9: I signed up and started out with the very helpful “registering for twitter” message.
- Dell became the first major company to start using Twitter.
- July: LA earthquake is first covered on Twitter.
- November: Facebook tries (and fails) to buy Twitter.
- January: TwitPic of plane in the Hudson river is shown everywhere.
- April: Oprah joins Twitter
- Google and Bing start showing real-time Twitter results
- September: Twitter launches redesigned website
- Twitter is key to communication in Egypt when government cuts internet access
- Roughly 190 million users now generate 140 million tweets per day.
Interestingly, it took more than three years to reach the one billionth tweet, and now it gets over a billion tweets per week!
Do you use Twitter? When did you join? (Hint: use WhenDidYouJoinTwitter.com to find out if you don’t remember)